Multicultural Mental Health Resources
As the national leader in mental health and suicide prevention for Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities the objective of MMHA is to provide consumers, carers and mental health professionals with the information and resources you need.
Mental health services
Below are the main providers of mental health services around Australia, transcultural mental health programs, multicultural psychosocial recovery-oriented services and specialist refugee support.
Select from the following:
- National services and agencies
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
As part of the knowledge exchange project, we plan to develop a comprehensive list of the range of multicultural and culturally specific mental health services and programs being offered around the country. Watch out for more information in late 2013.
National services and agencies
Funded by the Australian Government, Department of Health and Aging (DoHA):
Mental health services funded by the Australian Government, Families and Housing (FAHCSIA) including:
- Personal Helpers and Mentors
Aims to provide increased opportunities for recovery for people whose lives are severely affected by mental illness. The services help participants to better manage their daily activities and reconnect to their community.
- Mental Health Respite: Carer Support
Aims to provide a range of flexible respite options to carers of people with mental illness or intellectual disability.
- Family Mental Health Support Services
Aims to provide support to families, children and young people affected by mental illness through a diverse range of services targeting prevention and early intervention
- National Mental Health Commission
- Forum of Australian Services for Survivors of Torture and Trauma (FASSTT). FASSTT is a national coalition of organisations that respond to the needs of survivors of torture and trauma who have come to Australia from overseas. There is an agency in each state and territory of Australia, see below for more information.
- Carers Australia
- National Disability Alliance (NEDA) advocates for the rights and interests of people, from culturally diverse backgrounds, with a disability, families and carers throughout Australia.
- NSW Government Health, Mental Health Drug and Alcohol Services
- Mental Health Commission of New South Wales
- Transcultural Mental Health Centre (TMHC). A state-wide service that promotes access to mental health services for people of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, provides clinical consultation and assessment, mental health promotion, develops resources and provides education and training.
- Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors, STARTTS