Before The Bushfire Season - Prevent/Prepare
- Remove rubbish, leaf litter and native shrubs close to buildings.
- Form a wide firebreak around your home, eg short, green grass (use mower, spade, rake), trim branches well clear of the house. Clear roof and gutters of leaves, twigs etc..
- Fit wire screens to doors, windows and vents, and enclose all gaps, roof eaves and the area under your house.
- Store wood, gas, petrol, paint etc well clear of the house.
- Keep ladders handy for roof access (inside and out). Fit hoses to reach all parts of the house and garden. If mains pressure water is not connected, obtain a high pressure pump.
- Check you have adequate insurance cover for bushfire.
- Agree on a household plan to leave early or stay to protect your home during a bushfire. If leaving, plan when, where, how you will go and what to take.