Junee Shire Council

Owner-Builder Permits

27 Oct 2014 2:31 AM -

Owner-builder work is any work (including supervision and coordination) involved in the construction of, or alterations, repairs or additions to, a dwelling:

  • where the reasonable market cost (including labour and materials) exceeds $10,000, and
  • which relates to a single dwelling-house, dual occupancy* or a secondary dwelling:
    • that requires development consent under Part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, or
    • that is a complying development within the meaning of that Act.

*Note: an owner-builder permit will only be issued regarding a dual occupancy in cases of special circumstances.

Fair Trading has developed an owner-builder self-assessment tool and revised forms available on the    Fair Trading Website.

When prospective applicants visit a Fair Trading Centre or a NSW Service Centre to apply for an owner-builder permit, Fair Trading requires they produce a copy of the approved development consent, so as to ensure that the proposed construction is ‘residential building work’ and has been assessed and determined under the    Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979     and its relevant regulations.

Fair Trading understands that applicants for development approval do not need an owner-builder permit to obtain development consent. However, an owner-builder permit is required before building work is commenced. Therefore Fair Trading requires applicants for a permit to produce a copy of the approved development consent prior to issuing an owner-builder permit.

Contact Council

Address: 29 Belmore Street
PO Box 93 Junee, NSW 2663
Phone: 02 6924 8100
Send us an email Now

Get Social With Us

Receive Updates

Sign up to receive Junee Council's newsletter electronically.