Emergency Management

The management of an incident in NSW is normally handled by specific branches of the emergency services. In Junee, we have NSW Police, NSW Ambulance, Fire and Rescue NSW, SES, Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA) and Rural Fire Service (RFS). Some of these agencies a manned by full time staff, others by volunteers. These agencies are known as ‘Combat Agencies’ and have different roles which are broadly defined as follows:

NSW Police – Junee Station – Law and Order – (02) 6924 1144 or 000 (or 112 on mobiles) in emergency

NSW Ambulance – Medical Emergency – 000 (or 112 on mobiles) in emergency

Fire & Rescue NSW – Town/structure fires, Primary Rescue Unit – 000 (or 112 on mobiles) in emergency

NSW SES (Volunteers) – Flood, Storm & Tempest – 132 500

Rural Fire Service (RFS) – Riverina Fire Control Centre – (02) 6971 4500 or 000 (or 112 on mobiles) in emergency

Junee Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA) – 1300 872 777

In an emergency situation, the Combat Agency best suited to manage the type of emergency present is responsible for co-ordinating the response. 


Emergencies can arise at any time, so it is important to take simple steps to protect yourself, your family and property in a natural disaster or local emergency.

Simple actions to be emergency ready include preparing an emergency plan, developing an emergency kit and signing up for emergency warnings and alerts from NSW Rural Fire Service, NSW State Emergency Services and the Office of Emergency Management


The best way to stay safe in an emergency is to be informed. Tune in to local radio, websites or other media and listen for advice, instructions and updates. You could also use a battery-powered radio or your car radio (if it is safe to access your car). For severe weather information visit the Bureau of Meteorology.

Emergency alerts are sent by emergency services to landline telephones based on the location of the handset, and to mobile phones based on the service address. In the case of an emergency, you may receive a voice message on your landline or a text message to your mobile phone. 


Fires Near Me

ABC Radio

NSW Rural Fire Service

NSW RFS – Riverina Zone

NSW Police Force

Junee Shire Council

Website – https://www.junee.nsw.gov.au/council/emergency-management/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/JuneeShireCouncil/ 


Sometimes mobile phone services may not be available. Emergency services may ask you not to use your mobile to prevent network overload and ensure phone lines are available for the emergency services. Otherwise, provided that phone networks are still working:

  • send out a text message or call close family members and friends to check they are safe and let them know you are safe
  • notify Police if family, friends or neighbours are missing
  • let others know of the emergency risk, they may not have heard the emergency warning yet
  • use social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter to share emergency warnings 


Know what to do and who to contact when an emergency happens in the Junee Shire?

In the case of a flood, never drive, ride, walk or play in floodwater. Water may be deeper, or flow faster than you think. It may also contain hidden snags and debris.

During extreme heat, children, pregnant or nursing women, the elderly and pets are more likely to suffer the effects of heat. The easiest way to avoid heat-related illnesses is to stay hydrated by drinking water, stay out of the sun, wear light-weight or loose fitting clothing, avoid caffeine and alcohol, have a cool shower or bath and seek air conditioned or cooled environments e.g. shopping centres or your local library. 


During an emergency it is important to be aware of the dangers and risks to your safety and when it is likely to impact on you. In determining whether to stay or evacuate, you need to be aware of and follow any emergency warnings and you should not leave evacuating to the last moment.

You may receive evacuation warnings or orders:

from Police or other emergency workers

through media or official emergency services websites

through a government-issued emergency alert to your phone

When you do receive an evacuation order, it is essential that you follow the instructions. Every home should have an emergency plan and an emergency kit prepared should you need to evacuate.

If you have time, turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, unplug appliances and lock all doors and windows before leaving. 


During an emergency situation, if you cannot return to your home, you should:

  • go to the house of a friend or relative, if it is safe, or
  • go to your nearest Neighborhood Safer Places during a bush fire as a last resort. In the Junee Shire, the following Safe Places have been identified by the Rural Fire Service;
  1. -Junee – Memorial Park on Main St, Junee
  2. -Old Junee – Old Junee Community Hall at 38 Broad St, Old Junee
  3. -Illabo – Illabo Rest Area on Olympic Hwy (near Crowther St), Illabo
  4. -Wantabadgery – Wantabadgery Rural Fire Service shed on Jewnee St, Wantabadgery

If an Evacuation Centres is declared open and you are instructed to evacuate please do so. In the Junee Shire, there are a number of Evacuation Centres, listen carefully to instructions and which Evacuation Centre has been opened and move to that location.

  • Junee Bowling Club – 7 Lisgar St, Junee
  • Junee Golf Club – 2 Golf Ave, Junee
  • Junee High School – Lydia St, Junee
  • Junee Ex-Services Club – Broadway St, Junee
  • Athenium Theatre – Broadway St, Junee 

If you have evacuated, it may not be safe to return to your house. You must wait until emergency agencies give the all clear.

Stay tuned in to local radio stations for information, updates, and advice. Remember to stay clear of affected areas, particularly damaged buildings and roadways.

People returning to affected areas need to be aware of health and safety issues. Take precautions when travelling in disaster affected areas and wear protective clothing, particularly when clearing debris.

If your property is badly damaged seek a professional property inspection before entering the house. Services such as water, electricity and gas may have been disconnected.

Contact the service provider for reconnection, do not attempt to do it yourself. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to inform them of any loss or damages. 


Relevant State and Federal Government authorities, along with other service agencies coordinate recovery operations to help people and communities get back on their feet after an emergency.

Evacuation Centres may be established to provide immediate assistance to those evacuated from their homes or who are in need of shelter. If you decide to go to an evacuation centre, you will need to be prepared and take personal requisites such as clothing, medication and bedding with you. Recovery centres may also be established to provide a one-stop-shop for support and assistance.

Council supports leading emergency services agencies to manage and respond to local natural disasters and emergencies.

The Local Emergency Management Committee includes representation from Combat agencies Junee and Coolamon Council. One of their roles is to refine the Coolamon Junee Local Emergency Management Plan which is used by combat agencies in large scale emergency situations