Plumbing & Drainage

Junee Shire Council is the regulator of plumbing and drainage in the Junee Shire LGA by way of delegation provided by NSW Fair Trading. This means that together with NSW Fair Trading we work with the plumbing industry to ensure that all plumbing and drainage is carried out in accordance with the relevant standards.
All plumbing and drainage work carried out in the Junee Shire must comply with the current version of the Plumbing Code of Australia and Australia Standard AS/NZS 3500 and all work must be undertaken by a NSW licensed plumber.

Generally, Council accepts the responsibility, upon notification of fault, for maintenance, repair or renewal of the water service pipework from our water main to the meter and from our sewer main to the connection point within your property. The property owner is responsible for all maintenance within the property from the water meter and sewer connection point. 

Connection to Council’s Potable Water Supply (Junee Township Only)

If your proposal is in an area that has reticulated water available and you need to connect to that supply it will be necessary to contact Goldenfields Water County Council. A fee is payable and determined by the size/diameter of the connection required.

Approval to Connect/Carry Out Plumbing or Drainage Work 

You need to obtain Council approval if you are planning to connect or disconnect from any of Council’s sewer, stormwater or water systems or if you intend to carry out any work which may affect its system. This includes any major or minor works such as those plumbing and drainage works involved with minor alterations, renovations, additions or the relocation of an existing drainage line. Council approval is also required for plumbing work being carried out on properties connected to On-site Sewerage Management Systems (Septic Systems).

To obtain approval to undertake such work the owner of a property must complete an Application for Installation and Registration of On-Site Sewage Management System and submit the completed application form to Council together with the prescribed fees. Once an approval is granted for the requested work an approval notice will be issued together with a number of conditions specific to the work being proposed. These conditions will also identify the stages to which inspections will be required to be undertaken prior to the covering or backfilling of the work. 

Notice of Work (NoW)

It should also be noted that once you have obtained an approval and in addition to approval for plumbing and drainage work being required, prior to carrying out plumbing and/or drainage work the licensee engaged to carry out such work must apply for a Notice of Work. The requirement to obtain this permit will also be a condition of your approval to carry out the work. 

A Notice of Work must be lodged with Council no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.


Bookings for inspections may be arranged by telephoning the Council. Before booking an inspection please ensure that a plumbing permit to do the work has been obtained from Council by the contractor.

What work should I book an inspection for?

You must book an inspection for the following prior to covering or backfilling:

  • All external drainage including the point of connection to Councils sewer
  • All drainage (internal and external) including trade waste
  • Stack work
  • Alterations and additions to existing water and drainage
  • Connections to stormwater systems
  • Sealing of disused services (water and sewer)
  • Work that did not comply with an earlier inspection
  • Any work on recycled water plumbing
  • Any work relating to the modification of an on-site sewage management system
  • Land application areas associated with on-site sewage management systems
  • Final inspection at the completion of work and prior to premises being occupied

How to book an inspection?

You can book an inspection by calling (02) 6924 8100 between 9.00am and 5.00pm Mondays to Fridays. Bookings for inspections must be made 2 business days prior to the inspection.

To arrange or book an inspection by phone it will be necessary to have the following information ready:

  • The approval number for the work DA/CDC if applicable
  • The owner’s name
  • Job site address
  • The type of inspection required e.g. internal drainage
  • The date the inspection is required
  • Preferred time of the inspection
  • The name of the person requiring the inspection and their contact number 

Certificate of Compliance (CoC) 

The person responsible for carrying out plumbing and drainage work is required to submit, to both Council and the person for whom the work was carried out, a Certificate of Compliance in an approved form that certifies the plumbing and drainage work undertaken is code compliant. 

Sewer Service Diagram (SSD)

Under the provisions of the Plumbing and Drainage Act, upon completion of any plumbing and drainage work that consists of or includes sanitary drainage work, the licenced contractor who is responsible for the work must supply a Sewer Service Diagram in an approved A4 or A3 format to both the Council and the owner of the land or owners agent. 

Codes and Standards

The Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) is the new technical standard for all plumbing and drainage work in NSW. All plumbing and drainage work in NSW must comply with the PCA.

The new Code replaces the more prescriptive NSW Code of Practice for Plumbing and Drainage and other local requirements. This system means plumbers no longer need to remember a myriad of local variations to plumbing standards. Plumbers will be able to work more easily across different regions, without needing to know local variations.

The PCA sets out performance requirements for the design, construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration and maintenance of plumbing and drainage installations.

The Code calls up AS/NZS 3500, and it has two provisions that plumbers and drainers can work to and achieve code compliance. One option is for the work to be done under the ‘Deemed to Satisfy’ provision which means that it has been done in accordance with AS/NZS 3500. The other is the performance based provision where work (usually designed by a hydraulic engineer or consultant) meets or exceeds the requirements of AS/NZS 3500.

Plumbers and drainers can get copies of the PCA from the Australian Building Codes Board at