Commencement of Works

Business person giving partnership agreement to coworker
What should I do before any work begins?
  1. Make sure there is a Development Consent. Read the consent and comply with the relevant conditions.
  2. Make sure there is a Construction Certificate
  3. Make sure a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) has been appointed. A PCA means the authority (Council) or accredited person appointed to carry out inspections and issue Occupation Certificates. NOTE: Only Council is authorised to carry out plumbing and drainage inspections.
  4. Make sure your Notice of Commencement & Appointment of PCA form has been submitted.
  5. Obtain all relevant permits and other approvals.
  6. Make sure the required signage has been provided to identify the site, builder’s information, PCA, etc.
  7. Make sure the builder’s toiler is available in accordance with Work Cover requirements.
  8. Ensure all environmental controls are in place e.g. sediment fence; hoardings; dust control. The environmental issues you must consider when demolishing, excavating or building are:
    – protecting heritage items and contributory buildings
    – occupational health and safety and public safety
    – good site management including waste management
    – preventing erosion and controlling sediments
    – limiting hours of work to mitigate noise impacts on neighbours
    – limiting hours of work to mitigate traffic and parking impacts on neighbours timing deliveries to mitigate traffic and parking impacts on neighbours provision for storage including chemical storage

    Visit the NSW Workcover and Office of Environment and Heritage websites.

  9. Make sure provisions have been made for construction waste.
  10. Tell the neighbours you are about to start work and if an excavation is proposed below the level of the footings of a building on an adjoining allotment the notice must be given in writing to the owner at least seven (7) days before excavation commences.

How do I organise a building inspection?

Bookings for inspections may be arranged by telephoning Council’s Development Services Section 48 hours prior to the required inspections or emailing

You can book an inspection by calling 6924 8100 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

To book an inspection it will be necessary to have the following information ready:

  • The Council Construction Certificate number for the work
  • Job site address
  • The type of inspection required e.g. slab, frame, etc.
  • The date and time the inspection is required
  • The name of the person requiring the inspection and their contact number

NOTE: Ensure that you continue to monitor the conditions of your consent during the various stages of construction.